The office management trends set to transform the way you work in 2019.
If you are an office manager, a CEO, or someone who is somehow involved in business management, you surely know that it is crucial to keep up to date with the latest industry developments. This also applies to office management, a discipline that underpins business productivity, innovation, and efficiency. To find out more about what the future holds in this respect, take a look at some of the most important office management trends that emerged in 2018, as well as what can you expect during 2019.
Office Management Trends In 2018: The Lowdown
During 2018, the most noteworthy office management developments were linked to technological and office design trends that reflect new ways of thinking and using workspaces. Some of the most important office management trends we observed in 2018 were:
- Big Data and the Internet of Things (IoT): Modern technology generates vast amounts of data, which can be used to learn more about the strengths and weaknesses of your current office management style. At the same time, data generated by IoT technology can offer valuable information about how visitors and clients interact with the office layout and facilities and inform future plans and changes.
- Messaging apps: During 2018 we saw consolidation in the use of business messaging apps, probably due to a rise in other concurrent trends, such as increased workforce mobility, the growth of the gig economy, and the growing popularity of remote work. These apps make it easier for office managers to coordinate in-house staff and freelancers and provide a virtual meeting space for staff to collaborate irrespective of their location.
- The coworking model: Linked to the above, 2018 brought about a preference for open and shared workspaces. In addition to contributing a better employee experience, collaborative office space makes financial sense too, since it makes for better use of the available real estate and it’s easy to scale up or down.
Four Business and Office Management Trends For 2019
The trends outlined above signal profound changes in the office management sector, which means they are not a one-off and will instead continue to shape the way office workspaces are managed during 2019 and beyond. Here are four key business and office management trends that are expected to become more mainstream this year:
- 1. Activity-Based Working: This model reflects a way of rethinking office space so that instead of being fixed, it is chosen according to the type of task at hand. Activity-Based Working is influenced by the growth of coworking and collaborative office space and is often seen by business owners as an attractive option due to its potential to cut costs and boost efficiency. However, it is worth noting that Activity-Based Working alone can only bring benefits if it is managed with the right technical tools.
- 2. Smooth communication: Although we live in a digital era, social and face-to-face elements still play a role bringing teams together. During 2019, we are likely to see further developments in the use of messaging apps that foster communication despite physical and geographical barriers. In particular, and as an office manager or business owner, you should be paying close attention to virtual reality applications developed to hold virtual meetings.
- 3. The office as an experience: Wayfinding principles are increasingly being applied to any spaces where humans interact, whether they are digital or physical. This concept is particularly useful in large offices or in companies that occupy several floors in the same building. Through the use of digital signage, touch screens, and proprietary apps, wayfinding can help manage and improve the employee and visitor experience.
- 4. Visitor management:Visitor management systems are set to experience significant growth over the next few years, and its market size is expected to reach over $1.3 million by 2025. Visitor management tools are essential when it comes to effectively managing your business, as their benefits include faster contractor / visitor vetting, real time insights, increased security, and professional image. Moreover, they are cost effective as they can go a long way in helping you create a paperless office management system.
While adopting the trends mentioned in this article can be beneficial to your business, ultimately their success depends on making sure they are expertly designed and implemented. At VisiPoint we specialise in the design of technological tools that can facilitate office and business management. Get in touch to find out more about how our visitor management and sign-in solutions can help drive your company forward.